Friday, August 19, 2011

DSLR Camera Strap

Today is a great day...it's my birthday.
We have a fun night planned (with a babysitter) but first I want to show you what I made myself.
It's not a secret I LOVE my camera...okay it's kind of an appendage of my body.
I love to take pictures of basically everything so I thought it would be appropriate to make my camera...
well cuter and a bit more personalized. 

I think the camera strap that comes with your camera is boring and well, a bit dull. 
 
This is probably the easiest thing I have EVER made.
There are not really rules or a pattern, make it as thick and as long as you want.
I went through my stash of fabric and found two cotton fabrics that could coordinate with each other. 
I love a plain & basic color/pattern with something that pops out on the opposite side.
You will want to experiment how long and wide you want your personal straps. 
Whatever width you decide cut double the fabric.
You will then fold each edge towards the middle measuring along the way to make sure they are even. 
Have the inside piece be a tiny bit wider so the other sits slightly inside the edge. 
Put it around your neck and make sure it is the length you want. 
I wanted mine to be short enough not to dangle too much if worn around my neck, 
but long enough to be able to wrap around my body so I can wear it either way. 
Pin the two pieces together with right sides out, 
fold the end of each piece in a triangle shape and pin them together. 
I had saved the other pieces from my dogs harness I took apart the other day
and noticed this was exactly what they used on the original strap.
I am sure you could find these at the fabric store of hey buy a cheap small dog harness. 
So I cut both sides of the dog harness and studied the placement on the original strap. 
once I figured out how they placed the pieces I tucked them into the tip of the triangle and pinned it. 
Once everything was pinned I made sure it all worked and it was exactly how I wanted it.
I also wanted a pocket for my lens cap in because there never is a good place to put it once taken off.
So if you want to do this make sure your finished strap is wide enough to accommodate 
your lens cap accounting for a small seam along the outer edge.  
If you want a pocket cut some fabric (opposite color) folding and ironing all sides towards the center. 
Sew a straight line on on the top end only, you will sew the other sides with the rest of the project.
Pin the pocket on the inside of whatever strap you want it on,
 when you sew the straps together make sure to incorporate the two sides of the pocket.
All you have left is to sew a straight edge as close as you can to the outside. 
I did however go over the triangle portion twice to ensure the nylon straps durability.
Finish with a straight line along the bottom edge of your pocket 
leaving the top side open and unattached. 
I then followed this tutorial for fabric flowers and hand sewed them on around the edges.
This entire project took me less than an hour was completely free and literally could not be any 
easier even for a very beginner seamstress.
Good Luck.
You'll have to let me know how yours turns out. 

2 comments:

  1. That is amazing Christine. No way I could make that in less than an hour. What a good idea! Happy Birthday! Enjoy your date with B!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...