Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quiet Book

My sister and I decided a while ago we were going to make a Quiet Book together,
and give it to our kids for Christmas.
Her and I each took 9 pages and made 2 of each of them, 
one for ourselves and one for the other so our completed book would have 18 pages. 
Doesn't sound too bad, right??
Wrong...it was so time consuming and EXTREMELY tedious work.
But seriously now it is finished it was all worth it.  
I love the way it turned out and every time I work with Luke 
on learning and discovering through the various activities, I know all of our efforts were worth it.

I know that this book will grow with our family,
all our children in varying stages can learn from this it 
and pages can be taken out and added at anytime. 
(That is if I can ever talk myself into making more.)
This book has been especially helpful at church, on airplanes and any other place 
I need to entertain Luke in a seated position.
I hope you enjoy looking at our little creation & maybe get inspired to make one for your family. 

Cover Page
created by: Christine Thomas
Pattern was made like a blanket with firm felt in between 2 sheets of cotton fabric.
 It was made large enough to fit a coloring book and full sized sheets of paper.
Pockets were made to fit pencils crayons and 3X5 cards & tied with a satin bow and red piping.
Metal eyelets and large rings were added once sewing was complete.
Iron-on letters were purchased here and added at the end.

All pages in the book were backed by another page and sewn together with a extra firm piece of pellon so they are very sturdy. (pellon is found at any fabric store) 
Then each page has two metal eylets placed on it to fit onto the 2 rings holding the book together.


Inside Cover
created by: Christine Thomas

Label
designed by: Christine Thomas
printed from: etsy 
and ironed on using double sided fusible web.


3.  Zipper Page
created by: Christine Thomas
zippers bought at fabric store and sewn on in a zig-zag pattern

4. Ballet Slipper
created by: Holly Caten
slipper was traced out of felt and a pink ribbon was sewn on to create the bow.

5. Tic Tac Toe
created by: Christine Thomas
Grid was made from felt and all x's and o's hand traced and cut then sewn onto grey felt pieces.
Pouch was made from see through vynil.
Iron-on velcro was used to attach the pieces in the game.

6. Counting Beads
created by: Christine Thomas
Pony beads were strung on ribbon then sewn onto marked places.
numbers were written with a paint filled sharpie.


Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head
created by: Christine Thomas
pattern found here
A tan body was sewn on the page and iron-on felt was strategically placed for all pieces to be attached.
Pocket was made out of fabric and a metal snap to hold all the pieces together. 

 7. Star Puzzle
created by: Holly Caten
Puzzle was created using a shape sewn onto a piece of felt then cut into a grid to form a puzzle..
A fabric pocket was included to hold pieces when not in use. 

8. Noah's Ark
created by Christine Thomas
Ark was created by a creating a brown boat pocket to store finger puppets. (purchased at IKEA)
A house was placed on top and letters hand traced and cut then sewn on individually.

 Family House
created by: Christine Thomas
This page took a lot of planning and thinking. 
I had no pattern and used see through vinyl under each window a door.
Iron-on double sided fusible web was my best friend on this page, 
where I need to seal opening but could not sew them.
Small pictures were printed and fit into each opening of all our family members.
Luke LOVES this page!

 Race Car Track
created by: Christine Thomas
This had only one piece that was actually sewn on with my machine.
As time went on I figured out I could use double sided fusible web to stick pieces on and not have to sew each tiny piece. Much easier and looks much cleaner. 
Too bad I didn't realize this earlier.
This was made cutting out trees, pond and signs with felt and ironing them on.
I had a little garage pocket sewn on and can shut with velcro to hold a car for Luke.
Match box cars work great.
This happened to be my favorite page to create.

9. Family Mailbox
created by: Holly Caten
Mail box was created with the below pattern made out of felt. 
Letters were first printed and stamp sewn then backed with another piece of felt. 
Iron-on velcro was attached to shut to mail box.
pattern here 

10. Learning Colors Gum Ball Machine
created by: Holly Caten
Pattern was hand traced and felt was machine sewn.
Gum balls were cut in different colors and attached with iron-on felt.


  Learning your Prophets & Apostles
created by: Holly Caten
This page was made to help the kiddos learn the names and face of the apostles and prophets. 
Each face and name was laminated with extra firm lamination then cut and placed on with velcro.
As the children get older they can take the names and face and match them together.
A fabric pouch was added to hold the names when not being used. 

4 Seasons
created by: Holly Caten
This page was created with the below pattern.  Each piece can be attached
 on the tree changing and/or mixing the seasons together. 
A green grass pocket is at the bottom to hold the pieces not in use. 
I personally love this page!
pattern here

 11. Counting Flower
created by: Christine Thomas
Yellow flower middle, ric rac stem & green pot were permanently sewn onto the page.  
An opening was left in the top of the pot to place petals in when not in use. 
Petals and numbers were hand traced and sewn together then iron on velcro was used to attach them.

12. Look and Find
created by: Holly Caten
See through vinyl is holding buttons of different shapes and colors mixed
 with rice for the children to shake around and explore.
Letters were sewn on with a machine and vinyl was attached with a zig-zag stitch. 

Back Cover Page
created by: Christine Thomas
This back page has a pocket big enough for a full sized coloring book.

Label
designed by: Christine Thomas
Once I saw how much time and effort went in to this book 
I knew that if we left it somewhere or it got lost I would be devastated.  
So a made a label in illustrator that had each of our phone numbers in it 
so that our little book could find it's way back to us. 

printed from: etsy 
and ironed on using double sided fusible web.



I am sure my sister & I will never forget creating this project together for years to come!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this so much! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, but if an experienced crafter like yourself found it difficult to make, I will definitely not be attempting it. Maybe by the time I have grandchildren I will be capable of such a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay WOW!!!!!! This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (You don't know me, but I stumbled onto your blog, hope that's ok)
    First off, you did an amazing job on this quiet book!! Quick question...a group of friends are making one and I'm doing the potato head page, you mentioned using "iron-on felt." What is that? I think the face and arm pieces are so flimsy they'll rip apart easily. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!!!
    My email is
    lltq(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...