I stumbled upon this blog from Pinterest.
She takes lovely photos and has wonderful recipes of which I have tried a few.
If you don't know his recipes are almost always wonderful.
She made a few changes to the recipe that I really loved and I added a little touch of my own.
With all of the modifications you basically have the perfect nutrition packed english muffin.
You could safely say it is an english muffin on nutrition steroids.
(quoted from my husband)
You will never pay $4.00 for another pack of Thomas English Muffins again.
Whole Wheat English Muffins
recipe adapted from Alton Brown & The little Red House
makes 10-12 muffins
Ingredients
1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening or butter
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup hot coconut milk
1 envelope dry yeast (2 1/4 t.)
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
1 TBS vital wheat gluten
Non-stick vegetable spray
Special equipment: electric griddle, 3-inch metal rings,
Directions
In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening, coconut milk and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 teaspoon of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture.
Add the sifted flour (make sure you measure after it has been sifted) and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon.
Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
Add the sifted flour (make sure you measure after it has been sifted) and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon.
Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.
*(My griddle is broken so I used some non stick pans and covered them with lid from my pots, worked wonderfully. The heat on my stove was perfect a a little under a medium but that will depend on your stove)
Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Scoop a little less than 1/3 of a cup (do not overfill) into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown.
Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool.
enjoy!
*********************
I made 3 batches of these little guys so I learned a few things along the way.
I made with butter and one with shortening and really didn't see
any difference so use what you prefer or have on hand.
any difference so use what you prefer or have on hand.
I had to turn my heat lower than I thought to not over cook the outside of these.
I suggest to make one first, check your heat settings then proceed.
Do not overfill I used a little less than 1/4 of cup in mine after I overfilled them twice.
If you do overfill too much not a big deal.
Once you flip to the second side take a spatula and press firmly
that way when they are finished you can peel off the excess.
Set a timer for each side (5min) that way you won't lift the lid up too early.
Double, Triple, Quadruple the batch.
These are seriously incredible and you will not believe how fast they go.
I made almost 50 and left 10 out of the freezer...two days later there are only 2 left.
They freeze great and you can have them for the entire month.
To freeze:
cut squares of waxed paper
put them in between the muffins
and wrapped them in foil
Then I placed them in a freezer bag.
Each week I'll take out one roll and there you have it.
When you add the protein from the vital wheat gluten & good fats from the coconut milk
you will be so happy to hand these over to your kids.
You won't find these in a store, I promise.
Luke even approved and he is a tough sell.
I also made some homemade strawberry jam from our farmer's market run this week to have with these.
I'll post the recipe later this week it was so easy & only 3 ingredients.
They are simply divine.





these look way good! Mom said we're gonna make them this weekend :)
ReplyDeleteIf you still lived in SoSaLa you could get Thomas English Muffins for 50 cents at the bread store...but that would be denying your family this homemade goodness.
ReplyDelete