Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Toy Storage Solution

Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day.
We spent the weekend in beautiful San Fransisco and had the most amazing time.
I have so many pictures to share but until I have them ready I have a really exciting post. 

I have been really thinking about what I want to do with Luke's room.
The brown and blue color scheme we have now is great for a nursery 
but not what I want his big boy room to be.
I know that will be down the road a bit but he needed a place to store his toys desperately 
so I was faced with the question, "do I find something that goes in his room now 
or get something that could work for years to come."

So I have decided on a few things.
I want his "future" room to be a vintage vehicle inspired room.
One with old trains, planes, and cars. 
And I knew red would work it's way into the the room for sure.

So I found this incredible deal on a storage bin for Luke.
It was at a consignment store for $30 (bins included) and solid wood, so this gave me lots to work with.
I actually was considering purchasing it new for months now
but thought I could find some sort of a deal somewhere.
Well I guess good things do come to those who wait.
Because I saved $87!

Here was the picture behind my inspiration.

We spent days sanding it, and it took several coats of paint.
We used Valspar Front Door Red.

We then took a dark walnut stain and rubbed it over the finished paint to create a vintage looking piece.
This muted the bright red down a bit and gave it exactly the look we were going for.
The individual shelves that range in sizes are the perfect solution to a huge problem at our house,
TOYS-TOYS-TOYS.

I bought this chalk contact paper ($10.95) to label the bins.
This stuff is great it is a vinyl that sticks but is not permanent and you can write on it with chalk.
I prefer the chalk markers for a more precise writing tool but the ordinary chalk sticks work as well,
and they wipe clean so you can change them whenever you please.
And there you have it the very first addition to Luke's new big boy room.
This will be a slow process but I can't wait for it to be finished one day. 

For now I am just glad there are not toys in every corner of my house!

2 comments:

  1. Where do you learn what colors mix to make what you desire? I never would have known to use dark walnut stain. It looks like a heavy, rich, wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice it's a guessing game and you just hope works out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...